Your electrical panel is responsible for controlling the distribution of electricity throughout your home. That means proper maintenance is necessary to protect the safety of your home and your loved ones. Modern appliances have much higher energy demands than older models and the electrical systems of older homes were not designed to accommodate the increased energy needs of today’s families.
As more people work and learn from home, the typical home has several people using many electronic devices at the same time, further straining an already over-worked and underperforming system. As circuit breakers become outdated or malfunction, your panel can become overloaded and pose a serious safety hazard to your family. The following signs indicate it is time to update your electric panel:
- Your electric panel is more than 25 years old.
- The panel uses fuses instead of circuit breakers, which are outdated, less efficient, and far more likely to cause an electrical fire.
- You use multiple extension cords.
- Your appliances, devices, or electronic equipment do not operate at full power, or they overheat when used.
- The electrical panel is warm to the touch, makes crackling or buzzing noises, or smells burnt.
- There is evidence of damage, rust, or corrosion on the panel or circuit breakers.
- The area around outlets features black or burned spots.
- You experience tripping circuit breakers, power surges, or flickering or dimming lights.
- You recently added new equipment or increased the square footage of your home.
If your home shows any of the signs listed above, contact Electrical Insight immediately to schedule a consultation. Our expert electricians can inspect your panel, identify any outdated or faulty components, alleviate potential safety hazards, and upgrade your electrical system to meet your family’s energy needs. We offer free estimates and our 24-hour emergency services ensure your loved ones are never left in the cold due to electrical problems.